This Sunday I decided I wanted to ride Matson, but wasn’t feeling the vibe to ride between Matson and LV (and honestly to climb Matson Hill Rd on my singlespeed). So I opted for the Broemmelsieck-Matson double (GPS link) which I’ve read about some people doing.
It’s a pretty simple route as most of it takes you down a single road. I started with a lap at Broemmelsieck and then geared up for a long ride.
Please note, that none of the roads have shoulders. Many are very low traffic, but you must be comfortable with riding on roads like this.
- From Broemmelsieck, take a left on Schwede Rd and then a left on Wilson Rd.
- Eventually you’ll reach a 4 way stop that has no signs, head straight.
- You can either take Wilson to Highway D or as you’re getting close to D, there is a gated road to the right. This is Lakeway Rd. As far I could tell, it was just gated and not private. So I took that to Lake Hollow. This cuts a little piece off of Highway D.
- Hang a right on Highway D.
- You’ll next hang a right on Callaway Fork Rd. It starts out paved, but becomes gravel. This is a long false flat road that takes you over a number of low-water bridges (most of which were bone dry when I road it).
- Callaway ends at Highway F. Hang a right.
- Then hang a right on Defiance Rd (following the signs for the winery)
- After the winery, hang a right on Howell and then a right on Matson Hill. Follow that to the park.